Monday, January 12, 2015

I am only Responsible for my own Happiness

Writing Prompt for the #writeandrun31 Challenge with the No Meat Athlete ... What is your favourite quote, and why?

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us; it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we’re liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”
A Return to Love, Marianne Williamson


This quote is my all-time favourite because I deeply understand it, but I realize there is actually so much more about this I have to learn. I am slowly learning about how powerful my mind is, but I have a deep sense that this is just the teeniest tip of the iceberg.

Since as far back as I can remember, I have never had trouble being myself, and simply forgetting about how I am supposed to care what I look like to other people. It is a beautiful gift that I have, and it's important to me to retain this very important part of my perception of the world. There are times, certainly, when I begin looking a little more closely at myself in the mirror, judging my appearance. There are also times when I avoid leaving the house because I'm not at my best that day. I think that is more self-preservation though.

I think it's important to know your boundaries and start looking around to see who gets what from you, and what you're giving away. So many of us, especially us women, are constantly leeching out our power to others, and allowing the best parts of life to become tainted with feelings of "Obligation and Responsibility". Well, what would happen if we held others accountable for their actions instead of covering up peoples' mistakes with a blanket of Enablement? Because there comes a point when it is no longer your Responsibility to keep everybody happy. And there comes a time when all of a sudden you become so burnt out, so energetically exhausted, from taking on the burden of other peoples' junk.

We are each responsible only for our own Happiness.
Repeat this after me "I am only responsible for my own happiness".

Okay, so what if you led your life like that? - In ALL aspects? Well, that is what this quote says to me. Truly, when you begin to focus on your own happiness, people notice, and they begin to wonder how they could be happier too.

Food for Thought, my dear readers.
Have a safe and happy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment