Sunday, November 24, 2013

Emotional.

I have been working my way through a book that has weekly exercises that must be mastered before moving on to the next section. This past week, I was supposed to "let go of all adverse emotion". Just like that? So for six days I tried to "let go" of my emotions, to suppress them, to ignore ... I have to say, it sort of backfired on me! I felt more emotionally unstable than I have in quite some time, and I remember now that in order for me to let go of emotions, I have to allow them to run their course first. It doesn't mean that I will stay sad, it just means that like many things in life, emotions must be experienced to their fullest expression, and then you can let go of them.

 
This week, I felt like my emotions were seeping out of me through the pores in my skin. I found it difficult to bring myself into line, and live my life as Me, when these pesky emotions began to surface, and it was my job to ignore them. It is a funny thing, drawing my attention into the very feelings I tried to avoid for so long. I see now there really was no point in resisting them. It is much easier to feel the pain, sorrow, worry, and angst, than to fight it. It took me a very long time to realize that the very thing I was running from could well be the thing that could save my soul!

Sometimes it feels easier to run away than to look deeply into the eyes of your sorrow, but it will not work. You will never truly shed feelings of heartbreak, disappointment or grief until you turn around and look at it. Have Compassion for yourself and what you're feeling - look at yourself as if you were a mother looking at her child.

Be Kind to Yourself.
Be Kind to Others.
Love Everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment